Prostate Cancer Community
When to Start Radiation after 1st injection of zoladex
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to advanced or metastatic prostate cancer, biopsy, bone scan, blood in urine or semen, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), CT scan, cystoscopy, erectile dysfunction (ED), hormone therapy, incontinence, pain (abdomen, lower back or hip), PSA test, prostatitis, radiation therapy, rectal exam, recurrent cancer, screening, staging (tumor size, metastasis), transrectal ultrasound, and urinary difficulty, burning, or urgency (leaking).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

When to Start Radiation after 1st injection of zoladex

My father is 75 years old. He is a patient of prostate cancer. His gleason's score is 8. His PSA is 22.6. CT scan reveals that 2 iliac nodes & left seminal vesicle are involved. No bone metastasis on bone scan. It is T3 N2 M0. He has taken his first zoladex injection (3 months implant)10.8 mg S/C 3 weeks back. He is also taking casodex three times a day since 5 weeks. Oncologist has advised radical radiotherapy to be started immediately. When I consulted another oncologist, he advised to start radiation therapy 3 months after  the 1st dose of zoladex.  According to Radiotherapist, radiation should be started 2 months after starting zoladex and 2nd injection of zoladex should fall during radiation period. I want to know 1) when to start the radiotherapy after starting the 1st dose of zoladex? (as there are three opinions).2) Why radiotherapist advised to take 2nd injection of zoladex during radiation period? Does the hormone act as an adjuvant? Do Hormone & radiation have synergistic effect? Please help me in this matter. Thank you....Sita
1711789_tn?1361311607
Hey Sita!

There is no clear cut protocol for hormonal therapy with radiotherapy in prostate cancer. Radiotherapy can be initiated before, during or after radiotherapy. The preference of either may vary with the stage, risk factors etc. With the clinical description mentioned, I would prefer to go with the oncologist, rather than delaying radiotherapy.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Prostate Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979