Prostate Cancer Expert Forum
blood in sperm after Turps

This forum is for questions about: Advanced or Metastatic Prostate Cancer, Biopsy, Bone Scan, Blood in Urine or Semen, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), CT Scan, Cystoscopy, Erectile Dysfunction, Hormone Therapy, Incontinence, Pain (abdomen, low back or hip), PSA Test, Prostatitis , Radiation Therapy, Rectal Exam, Recurrent Cancer, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging (Tumor size; Metastasis), Surgery, Transrectal Ultrasound, Urinary Difficulty or Burning, Urinary Urgency (Leaking), Watchful Waiting.

blood in sperm after Turps

Hi I am 74 and had two operations  March/ April 2006 one for a bladder stone and then for enlarged prostate I was advised that I would have retrograde ejaculation . The operations were successful and I was fearfull of sex would it hurt when I ejaculated etc etc but  after a few months I masturbated and ejaculated from my penis as per normal.
However prior to the operation I used to have blood in my sperm for a number of years and the first two times I ejaculated after the operations it was bloody as before  Then I noticed there was no blood in my sperm and this continued for about 9 months  Wonderful I thought and what a great success.However after a short lapse of any sexual activity I have now noticed that the blood has appeared again.
Why is this and will it  go away as its rather off putting for any female partner especially oral sex being a no no or have i gone back to the situation of the blood always being there each time I ejaculate or can one do anything about it?
Thank you for your question. Blood in the sperm (hematospermia) after TRUP is a common condition and usually resolves at 6-8 weeks.

With hematospermia the usual source is the prostate and this is because of inflammation. You should consult your urologist to rule out urinary tract infection and prostatic inflammation. This can be done by sending the first urine sample after prostate massage.

Sincerely,

AKT

Sorry the operations were in March/April 2008 NOT 2006