Prostate Cancer Community
cancer found in seminal vesicles

This patient support community is for discussions relating to advanced or metastatic prostate cancer, biopsy, bone scan, blood in urine or semen, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), CT scan, cystoscopy, erectile dysfunction (ED), hormone therapy, incontinence, pain (abdomen, lower back or hip), PSA test, prostatitis, radiation therapy, rectal exam, recurrent cancer, screening, staging (tumor size, metastasis), transrectal ultrasound, and urinary difficulty, burning, or urgency (leaking).

cancer found in seminal vesicles

My PSA level was 8 and my biopsy showed my cancer to be Gleason 6. (I am 61 and am in preety good shape - 172 lbs and walk about 3-4 miles a day). I had successful robotic surgery and only two weeks after surgery have full continence, mobility and am close to back to normal.  The downside is that the pathology report showed that there was an invasion in the seminal vesicle.

My surgeon was surprised but not alarmed because he said there is a good chance that since the seminal vesicles were also removed during surgery there is a strong likelihood that "all" the cancer was removed.

However, he is not making any determinations until my first PSA (six weeks after surgery). If the PSA is higher than might be expected, he said he might recommend radiation and hormone therapy.

My real question is, all things considered, what might my outlook for long-term survival be?

Vinnie
Hi Vinnie,
i read your story and it is very similar to my husband's story.  He had a post-op Gleason of 8 and a PSA of 50.  He had a radical prostatectomy at NYU on January 4th.  His biopsy showed that the cancer had penetrated the capsule and invaded the seminal vesicles.  He just had his first post-op PSA and we should have results tomorrow.  I'm curious to know how your post-op PSA went and if it was elevated, did your doc recommend therapy?  
please let me know when you have a moment.  
Hi Vinne,
I haven't seen any recent posts from you so I thought I'd follow up and see how you are doing.  Since my last post to you, my husband had his first post-op PSA and it was measurable.  His surgeon at NYU suggested that he wait 6 weeks and have another to see the "doubling time" so that he can make a determination about salvage treatment. He had penetration of the capsule and invasion of seminal vesicles.  Even though they were removed, obviously some cancer remained.  He'll have his second post-op PSA next week and we're praying it remains fairly stable so that he will be a candidate for pelvic radiation.  If it rises quickly or doubles, then there is no radiation.  He will then have chemo/hormone therapy for a possible distant metastases.  Please let me know how you're making out.  
i hope all is well
klauren
I'm sorry, but for some reason I didn't know anyone had commented on my post. Here's an update. My first PSA blood test, six weeks after surgery was less than 0.1. My second test in March showed PSA also less than 0.1.  My surgeon was pleased. I am scheduled for a third PSA in June.

I hope things go well for your husband.

Vinnie Begley