Prostate Cancer Expert Forum
elevated psa after laporascopic prostate removal

This forum is for questions about: Advanced or Metastatic Prostate Cancer, Biopsy, Bone Scan, Blood in Urine or Semen, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), CT Scan, Cystoscopy, Erectile Dysfunction, Hormone Therapy, Incontinence, Pain (abdomen, low back or hip), PSA Test, Prostatitis , Radiation Therapy, Rectal Exam, Recurrent Cancer, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging (Tumor size; Metastasis), Surgery, Transrectal Ultrasound, Urinary Difficulty or Burning, Urinary Urgency (Leaking), Watchful Waiting.

My husband had laparoscopic prostate removal in April 2004.  The pathology report indicated "marginal".  For over 2 years, the psa was undetected.  In October 2006, psa reading was 0.7 In February, 2007 it remained 0.7  I am extremely concerned with the Dr's advice to wait until June for another psa reading.  I realize that a detected psa following prostate removal is not a good sign.  My questions are...is the fact that the psa was undetected for over 2 years a positive or negative sign?  Is time of essence when considering radiation for recurring prostate cancer?  I am worried beyond belief that he is waiting another two months for possible radiation.  The dr. indicated that sometimes scar tissue can cause an elevated psa following laparoscopic surgery.  Would that not have shown immediately?  Any advice you could provide would be helpful.  Our urologist is qualified and a very skilled surgeon, but I strongly disagree with the "wait and see" approach.  

Some patients who develop elevated PSA (biochemical recurrence) after surgery
have an indolent course and in others the disease  more malignant.

To properly advise you, it is necessary to know the pathological report of the prostate cancer and the stage of the disease.

Consultation with a medical and/or radiation oncologist is advisable.

This answer is not intended and does not substitute for medical advice- the information is for patient education only.

Sounds like a bit of remorse towards not opting for the seed implant!  Did your Urologists at least let you have a consult with the local Radiation folks?
A related discussion, Elevated PSA after radical removal of prostate was started.
A related discussion, radiation? was started.