Prostate Cancer Expert Forum
elevated psa after laporascopic prostate removal
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions about: Advanced or Metastatic Prostate Cancer, Biopsy, Bone Scan, Blood in Urine or Semen, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), CT Scan, Cystoscopy, Erectile Dysfunction, Hormone Therapy, Incontinence, Pain (abdomen, low back or hip), PSA Test, Prostatitis , Radiation Therapy, Rectal Exam, Recurrent Cancer, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging (Tumor size; Metastasis), Surgery, Transrectal Ultrasound, Urinary Difficulty or Burning, Urinary Urgency (Leaking), Watchful Waiting.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

elevated psa after laporascopic prostate removal

My husband had laparoscopic prostate removal in April 2004.  The pathology report indicated "marginal".  For over 2 years, the psa was undetected.  In October 2006, psa reading was 0.7 In February, 2007 it remained 0.7  I am extremely concerned with the Dr's advice to wait until June for another psa reading.  I realize that a detected psa following prostate removal is not a good sign.  My questions are...is the fact that the psa was undetected for over 2 years a positive or negative sign?  Is time of essence when considering radiation for recurring prostate cancer?  I am worried beyond belief that he is waiting another two months for possible radiation.  The dr. indicated that sometimes scar tissue can cause an elevated psa following laparoscopic surgery.  Would that not have shown immediately?  Any advice you could provide would be helpful.  Our urologist is qualified and a very skilled surgeon, but I strongly disagree with the "wait and see" approach.