Prostate Cancer Expert Forum
further treatment

This forum is for questions about: Advanced or Metastatic Prostate Cancer, Biopsy, Bone Scan, Blood in Urine or Semen, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), CT Scan, Cystoscopy, Erectile Dysfunction, Hormone Therapy, Incontinence, Pain (abdomen, low back or hip), PSA Test, Prostatitis , Radiation Therapy, Rectal Exam, Recurrent Cancer, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging (Tumor size; Metastasis), Surgery, Transrectal Ultrasound, Urinary Difficulty or Burning, Urinary Urgency (Leaking), Watchful Waiting.

further treatment

I am 55 and had a Radical Prostatectomy in 2005 after 6 months of hormones, my psa has been fluctuating up and down from 0.04 to .22 and is now back to 0.04.

The biopsy of my prostate showed positive margins in 2 areas and I was wondering if I should be considered for further treatment like radiation or just keep watching my psa over time until it rises again.  Would there be any definate benifits to treating earlier while my psa is 0.04.  Would hormones be benificial at this time?  any advice woulbe be great
Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, there is a paucity in the literature related to your particular situation, that is an elevated PSA after primary treatment. There are, however, several factors to consider; these include Gleason grading, extent of tumor or tumor bulkiness; presence of extracapsular extension; PSA prior surgery. These should guide you, your urologist and medical oncologist towards an understanding of your particular tumor's aggressiveness. Your options would be to radiate the prostate bed or wait and watch your PSA and then radiate.

Have you been getting your PSA tests from the same lab? What was the explanation given to you about the fluctuation?

Ash K. Tewari, MD
www.cornellroboticprostate.org

This forum is for information only. The contents, such as graphics, images, text, quoted information and all other materials ("Content") are provided for reference only, do not claim to be complete or exhaustive or to be applicable to any particular individual's medical condition. Users should always consult with a qualified and licensed physician or other medical care provider. Users are warned to follow the advice of their physicians without delay regardless of anything read in this forum. The Weill Cornell Prostate Cancer Institute assumes no duty to correct or update the Content nor to resolve or clarify any inconsistent information which may be a part of the Content. Reliance on any Content is solely at the User's risk. This forum may contain health or medically related materials considered sexually explicit. Users are warned that if they may be offended by such Content, an alternate source of information should be found. Publication of information or reference in forum to specific sources such as specific products, procedures, physicians, treatments, or diagnoses are for information only and are not endorsements of the Weill Cornell Prostate Cancer Institute.
1 Comment