Prostate Cancer Community
hard orange substance in semen

This patient support community is for discussions relating to advanced or metastatic prostate cancer, biopsy, bone scan, blood in urine or semen, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), CT scan, cystoscopy, erectile dysfunction (ED), hormone therapy, incontinence, pain (abdomen, lower back or hip), PSA test, prostatitis, radiation therapy, rectal exam, recurrent cancer, screening, staging (tumor size, metastasis), transrectal ultrasound, and urinary difficulty, burning, or urgency (leaking).

hard orange substance in semen

I also have some pain when I ejaculate, and hard orange colored deposits in my semen.  It happened for the first time about 8 years ago, and hasn't occurred in 7, until tonight,  I am a bit concerned and would like to find out what it is.  My wife and I have a really active sex life, and I want it to remain that way.

This discussion is related to painful ejaculation & blood in semen.
It is likely that the substance you are seeing is blood. If you have no other symptoms,  a  simple scenario would be the blood may be menstrual. If your wife gets her period in a day or so – it may simply be a contaminant.
It is possible to have blood also from a bleeding prostate. It would be best to have yourself examined. The doctor may also request a PSA, a blood test to stratify the risk for malignancy.  
Are you taking bromocriptine? For what condition?
No, I don't know why the tag says that.  

As for the menstrual, I haven't had sex in over a month (recently divorced) and when I masturbate I sometimes still get the hard orange of dark yellow chunk in the semen, which I can feel as I ejaculate.  It is usually just one or two bits, about the size of a grain of sand, and it doesn't happen all the time.  I haven't had any time to go to the doctor yet, but I plan to soon.  I am in the military and I don't really trust the flight doctors, should I see a urologist?  

A visit to the urologist may be a good idea.

Have you noticed if there is also in change in the color of urine? Is it becoming more deeply yellow, perhaps orange as well? A simple thing to do may be to increase your fluid intake. You can then observe changes in urine color, if it becomes clear as drinking water, this would be enough. The description of the ejaculate may only mean also that you are dehydrated. The other thing I’m thinking about would be blood coming from somewhere (the prostate being suspect). You could also consider cutting down on meat to give your kidneys a little less nitrogen load.

Stay positive.