hardened prostate
My 60 year old husband was referred to a urologist because of a hardened spot on his prostate.  The PSA has not risen significantly, but the hard spot is there and was there again after this 6 month checkup.  The urologist wants to do a biopsy but my husband refuses.   He wants to wait another 6 months.  I am very frustrated that he won't investigate further.  Advice, please?
The first problem is usually denial. I’m guessing your husband feels nothing at all or has manageable symptoms with voiding. It is indeed difficult to convince him to go further. The problem here is that we don’t know enough of the extent of the problem making it much harder to help him see through the denial. He may simply need some time, perhaps make an agreement at which point, like a definite time frame will he submit to the tests. You may also need to clarify your husband’s fears and expectations from the biopsy, does he have needle phobia? Does he know anyone who had complications from the procedure and fears that it would lead to the same result if he goes through with it? There may also be a need to emphasize that even in a worst case scenario, it is likely that performing the investigation would make a meaningful difference.