Prostate Cancer Community
pROSTAE CANCER AND BLADDER CANCER

This patient support community is for discussions relating to advanced or metastatic prostate cancer, biopsy, bone scan, blood in urine or semen, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), CT scan, cystoscopy, erectile dysfunction (ED), hormone therapy, incontinence, pain (abdomen, lower back or hip), PSA test, prostatitis, radiation therapy, rectal exam, recurrent cancer, screening, staging (tumor size, metastasis), transrectal ultrasound, and urinary difficulty, burning, or urgency (leaking).

pROSTAE CANCER AND BLADDER CANCER

Is there any definitive data that relates non-invasive Prostate cancer and Bladder cancer? I have both. I have seen several boards where there seems to be a significant number of patients who have both. Would also be interested in any studies that relate radiation therapy (i.e., brachytherapy) to potential cause of Bladder Cancer.
I can’t give you direct data from a patient series or registry but since the prostate is non-invasive (uncertain if the description applies to the bladder) the two cancers are likely independent events. From ACS 2007 data, of 1.4 million new cases, 767,000 are in men, of which 29% have prostate cancer and 7% have bladder. The odds of having both (from extrapolation) is 1/33 of these new cases, that comes to about 6000 men. These numbers however, involve all prostate cancers (including the invasive) so the actual figure we could expect to be smaller.
The incidence of secondary bladder cancer from radiation is roughly 1% for conventional RT (I don’t have data for brachytherapy). The incidence is expected to increase (to about 1.75%) with higher doses of radiation as those employed in IMRT. However, it must be remembered that the development of the secondary malignancy may take up to ten years, so life expectancy of patients plays a factor with a higher incidence for those who are younger when treatment was received.
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2003 May 1;56(1):83-8
I repeated my calculations, and the more accurate figure for the prostate and bladder cancer comes to 1/50, of the 767000 new cancers in men, about 15000 may have the aforementioned sites involved.
I've had 49 treatments and Im finished,a follow up in 3 weeks....Im noticing a burning sensation from my rectum and my urthea while urinating is this a side effect from the treatments ? and is it normal ? when will the diarrhea go away ?
My father also developed bladder cancer that has occurred after the development of prostate cancer. He was diagnosed with prostate cancer 7 years ago and recent the cancer has reoccurred in the prostate with cancerous tumor in his bladder. I understand your statistics on the relation and question the reverse effect. Is there data that reveals that a significant number of patients with bladder cancer develop prostate cancer. Of patients with bladder cancer what are the numbers that have or develop prostate.
Help have PC and last week diagnosist with BC!  HELP  JimW