Prostate Cancer Expert Forum
prostate cancer radiation problems

This forum is for questions about: Advanced or Metastatic Prostate Cancer, Biopsy, Bone Scan, Blood in Urine or Semen, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), CT Scan, Cystoscopy, Erectile Dysfunction, Hormone Therapy, Incontinence, Pain (abdomen, low back or hip), PSA Test, Prostatitis , Radiation Therapy, Rectal Exam, Recurrent Cancer, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging (Tumor size; Metastasis), Surgery, Transrectal Ultrasound, Urinary Difficulty or Burning, Urinary Urgency (Leaking), Watchful Waiting.

prostate cancer radiation problems

Had hormones and radiation treatment to treat prostrate cancer.  After 6 months still experiencing severe pain everytime I need to go to the toilet.  Have been given cream etc to insert before going to the toilet to try and heal, thinking that it may be a torn bowel.  This is not working and it is getting worse.  It is excrutiating pain so that I feel that I just cant keep going on like this. Thinking maybe it could be a torn bowel and radiation has got in to this, but desperately want to know if this is and if anyone else has experienced anything like this and what I need to do to treat this.
A knowledge about your prostate cancer stage and more details of your treatment would be required.

Regarding the severe pain you are having: does it occur while passing stools? Severe pain while passing stools could be related to certain ano-rectal conditions. Anal fissures are small tears or abrasions in the skin lining the anal canal and can occur with constipation.

General measures that help in this situation include creams (as you are already using), sitz baths, and measures to combat constipation (if any).

Acute anal fissures or thrombosed piles can be  very painful and certain therapeutic procedures are helpful. If the pain continues to be severe, you would need to be assessed by a proctologist or a general surgeon.