Prostate Cancer Community
prostate cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to advanced or metastatic prostate cancer, biopsy, bone scan, blood in urine or semen, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), CT scan, cystoscopy, erectile dysfunction (ED), hormone therapy, incontinence, pain (abdomen, lower back or hip), PSA test, prostatitis, radiation therapy, rectal exam, recurrent cancer, screening, staging (tumor size, metastasis), transrectal ultrasound, and urinary difficulty, burning, or urgency (leaking).

prostate cancer

How bad is 6 psa and gleason score of 3+3=6 ? My doctor says I should have surgery  thank you
Dear Vickey:  From what I have learned, your numbers would indicate that your prostate cancer is very treatable and that with good treatments you would have about a 90% chance of cure.  I had prostate cancer in 2005 and my numbers were psa of 6 and gleason of 3+3.  I checked out all of the differnent types of treatments that are available and chose to have Proton Radiation treatments at Loma Linda University Medical Center in Loma Linda California.  Proton Radiation is different from conventional radiation in that 90 % of the treatment energy delivered goes directly to the tumor being treated and surrounding tissues and organs are not damanged.  That is not the case with conventional radiation.  Due to the fact that Proton does not damage the surrounding areas, the patient has little to no side effects from the treatments... Bottom line is Proton Radiation has a 90% cure rate and little to no side effects..Personally, having had Proton treatments, I would not consider any other type treatment due to the 90% cure rate and no  side effects... My PSA is now .03 and I have -0- side effects as a result of the treatments..and was not sick one single day during the treatments.. Its like im cured and was never sick.  I found out that you shouldnt just take your doctors word for treatments...Check out the options yourself and be sure you know the side effects of all of the treatments.. Most doctors will treat you the way they know how.My doctor wanted to give me lupron shots..he said I could probably live 10 more years that way.. I plan on living longer than that.  I later found out that is the way he treats all of his postate cancer patients.  Most will not recommend Proton because they are not trained for it and dont have the equipment.. I think its a money thing with most of them. There are about 5-6 places in the US that offer Proton Radiaton treatments. Most insurance plus Medicare pay for it.  It is a little more expensive initially, but just as cheap in the long run because of the no side effect thing.. There are no after treatment problems or treatments as with the other treatment options.. If you would like more information on Proton Radiation, please feel free to send me a message and I will help all i can.. I can also put you in touch with former Proton Patients in your area who would be glad to share their experiences with you.. Any one who has had the treaments is as sold on it as I am.  We just hate to see patients have treatments that cause so many side effects when there is such a good treatment option available  .I wish you the very best.. Claytex
Dear Claytex. I am diagonized of prostrate cancer, I am worried of best treatment options until I read of your proton remedy. Pls kindly fwd detailed advice and contact.
Chris.