Prostate Cancer Community
prostatitis & antihistamines

This patient support community is for discussions relating to advanced or metastatic prostate cancer, biopsy, bone scan, blood in urine or semen, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), CT scan, cystoscopy, erectile dysfunction (ED), hormone therapy, incontinence, pain (abdomen, lower back or hip), PSA test, prostatitis, radiation therapy, rectal exam, recurrent cancer, screening, staging (tumor size, metastasis), transrectal ultrasound, and urinary difficulty, burning, or urgency (leaking).

prostatitis & antihistamines

I was recently diagnosed with prostatitis. I was told that possibly one of the contributing factors could be the benadryl I have been taking due to hay fever. It was suggested that I switch to Zyrtec. Is this common? Sounds a little wierd to me. Oh! Im 58, have had undiagnosed blood in semen and urine, epedidimitis and bladder tumor removed 12 years ago. Just wondering.
I am unfamiliar with any direct relation. There are patients who may actually have itching due to a drug allergy (usually antibiotics) being given for the prostatitis, and so the benadryl should be helpful and not the reverse.
Thanx for the response. I did some googling of some antihistamines and found that some have warnings not to use if them if you have urinary probs. beats me. I just have to sneeze and pee I guess.
There are some case reports of antihistamines taken in large toxic doses (apparent suicide attempts) which resulted in muscle breakdown. This could produce kidney failure if left untreated. I'm unsure if this is the basis of the warnings you found (if you could share some links I'd be interested to read up on them). But you aren't likely taking megadoses, and it is unclear how this could affect the prostate.
Google brand name antihistamines and read the warnings. Wow, all of them that I googled had warnings about prostate problems, urinary problems or BPH. Even nasal sprays and Visine A. Whats a fella my age to do? I try not to take them because the urinary probs are quite problematic. I will be so glad when the hay fever season has passed.  (ooops a pun there)
Caution is advised when taking antihistamines with BPH because of the anticholinergic properties of antihistamines. Anticholinergics can make peeing difficult. If yours do not have this effect - no problem. Google anticholinergic and antihistamine and you will find lots of sources.

lancastrian.
Thanx Lan.
Whats a fellow  to do when he has the "P" probs and seasonal allergies pop up. Cant fall asleep due to the sneezing so I take an antihistamine. Then cant fall asleep due to the continuous urgency. Darn, makes me want to "P" just thinkin about it.
Hello t,

I have similar problems to you and have a few suggestions.
But I just read Medhelp's privacy policy which seems like not much privacy.
This is a useful but potentially dangerous site. Consequently, as soon as I send this, I shall unsubscribe.
If you'd like my experiences with "our" conditions you can email me at
mancunian at mancunian *******