Prostate Cancer Community
psa doubled in one year but still low.
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to advanced or metastatic prostate cancer, biopsy, bone scan, blood in urine or semen, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), CT scan, cystoscopy, erectile dysfunction (ED), hormone therapy, incontinence, pain (abdomen, lower back or hip), PSA test, prostatitis, radiation therapy, rectal exam, recurrent cancer, screening, staging (tumor size, metastasis), transrectal ultrasound, and urinary difficulty, burning, or urgency (leaking).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

psa doubled in one year but still low.

I was 50 years old and had a radical prostatectomy in October of 2008, negative margines and no cancer in the lymphnodes. It was T1c and Gleason of 6. in 2009 my psa was .02 in 2010 psa was .01 and in 2011 psa was .03 Is there anything to worry about. I had herd that they have some concern when psa doubles within a year.  
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank

I don't believe the "doubling rate" falls into the PSA range you are in... usually referring to a PSA of 4 suddenly going to 8 in a year and then continuing to rise thereafter...  I suggest reading the book  "The invasion of the Prostate Snatchers and...."  puts everything in perspective.
Blank
Thanks I was concerned because psa was going up. I thought it was supposed to be .01 after removal of the prostate.
Blank

In your case I believe you are correct ...  however the margin of error in the PSA test at that level and laboratory variation could account for the difference in numbers.  Test every 6 months.
Blank
Thanks for the help. Please let me know if you hear anything new. I am scheduled for another psa test in july.
Blank
I'm back with more questions. It has been six years since I had my prostate removed and psa is gradually rising every year. It's now .06 do I have anything to worry about?
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Prostate Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...