Prostate Cancer Community
radiotherapy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to advanced or metastatic prostate cancer, biopsy, bone scan, blood in urine or semen, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), CT scan, cystoscopy, erectile dysfunction (ED), hormone therapy, incontinence, pain (abdomen, lower back or hip), PSA test, prostatitis, radiation therapy, rectal exam, recurrent cancer, screening, staging (tumor size, metastasis), transrectal ultrasound, and urinary difficulty, burning, or urgency (leaking).

radiotherapy

My husband starts 8 weeks of radiotherapy in September, just wondered how this had affected anyone else, we are I suppose expecting side effects and then if we dont get them it will be a bonus!!

many thanks

The usual problems with radiation would involve the anatomically near structures, particularly the rectum. Hence, there may be some irritation, causing diarrhea for some, for others pain while passing stool.

Unlike surgery, in which erectile dysfunction is noted early in the post-operative period, for patients on radiation, the erectile function tends to worsen over time, sometimes it happens long after the actual radiation.

How old is your husband? Older men may have weaker bones and the radiation may also increase the risk for fractures.

Stay positive.
Thank you for your reply I should have probably given a bit more information! my husband is 50 he underwent RP in Feb this year and is currently on anti-androgen Casodex which he is to take for 2 years.
I bought him some calcium tablets to take (I was thinking more of the side effects of the HT) but I guess they will be useful for radiation effects also - I suppose you can just hope and wish for minimal problems with the treatment
I'm new to this forum so forgive if I misunderstand terminology.  It sounds like you are saying your husband had Radical Prostectomy in Feb. of this year and now he is preparing for radiation therapy.  Also, what does the HT stand for?
Yes he had radical prostatectomy in Feb and starts radiotherapy in Sept
sorry (I normally hate abreviations myself!) HT for hormone treatment!
radiation itself induses other cancers,however probility is much reduceh now days.but u should keep checking  other sings n symptoms which were not present before.
hope he will get well soon.