rising PSA 12 years after radical prostatectomy
I had a Radical Prostatectomy nearly 13 years ago when I was 55.  I didn’t take any notice of my psa prior to 2007 however I am assuming it was non existent.

I received  a results letter from my the doctor yesterday to say “your  PSA has risen ever so slightly to 1.0 it was 0.5 in 2010, in 2008 it was 0.8, so I will recall this in 6 months to see if this is a fluctuation or a trend”.

This got me thinking  so I turned to Google as you do and scared myself silly now I am worried and not sure what to do if anything. Perhaps I am worried about nothing.

But how come I have any psa at all  if I haven’t got a prostate? I can only conclude that the cancer is coming back. Am I correct with this assumption?

I don’t know the details of the surgery measurements but was told the cancer was contained and that’s all.
.
Here are my PSA readings:

25 Jan 2013, Psa Group
Total PSA: 1.0 ug/L
31 Oct 2011, Psa (Total)
PSA (Total):1.0 ng/mL
04 Jun 2010, Psa Group
Total PSA: 0.50 ug/L
12 Feb 2009, Psa (Total)
PSA (Total):0.7 ng/mL
25 Sep 2007, Psa (Total)
PSA (Total):0.7 ng/mL

My question is what do these psa reading really mean and should I be concerned and what should I do about it?

Many thanks

Chip
Hi and welcome and sorry the late reply. I also had cancer but did the 45 radiation treatments. Since 5 years my psa has been between .08 and 1.
Your increase from what ive learned is nothing to be worried about.
What was your gleason score?
Thanks for the your comments. From memory my gleason score was 7 and the surgeon said the cancer was contained within the prostrate. I shall try and gather more information though.

I have been going to the same doctor for 25 years and he tends to be conservative in his approach to cancer. I am a little bit hesitant in approaching him  to explain the reason for having any psa at all.

I suppose I am just being careful about my heath and have some anxiety with the 1:0 PSA.

Cheers

Chip

Gleeson score was  6. The tumor is associated with extensive high grade. PIN. Tumor extends to the excision margins of both left & right peripheral zones etc.

Hi, 6 is a relatively slow growing cancer and some say we would die of something else before cancer. Mines a 6 also.
cheers to you also
dave