should a free PSA test be taken?
I have recently had a DRE which discovered an enlarged prostate with one small (3mm) nodule.  A PSA was taken and I have a .8 on that test.  I will be seeing a urologist soon, but I was wondering if I should be asking to take the free PSA given the unstable nature of the PSA test itself.  For background, I am a 41 year old caucasian male, with no other health problems that I know of, but am presenting with symptoms that could be a number of different diagnoses.  Any insight would be appreciated.

Also, any tips in dealing with the specialist would be great.

I had PSAs over 4 for several years but because I had BPH and a negative first prostate biopsy I was hesitant to have a 2nd biopsy when my urologist recommended one.  I decided to have my family doctor do another PSA and I specifically asked him also to do a free PSA test.  The PSA actually came back lower than my previous test but the fPSA came back at 10.8, which indicated a high probability of cancer.  I had the 2nd biopsy and it came back positive for cancer with a Gleason of 7.