Prostate Cancer Community
wait time for surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to advanced or metastatic prostate cancer, biopsy, bone scan, blood in urine or semen, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), CT scan, cystoscopy, erectile dysfunction (ED), hormone therapy, incontinence, pain (abdomen, lower back or hip), PSA test, prostatitis, radiation therapy, rectal exam, recurrent cancer, screening, staging (tumor size, metastasis), transrectal ultrasound, and urinary difficulty, burning, or urgency (leaking).

wait time for surgery

I have been diagnosed with prostate cancer. The boipsy gave a Gleason score of 7. I am 64. My doctor said I could have surgery (radical prostatectomy ) in 3 to 6 months. Does anyone know the maximum recommended wait time for this type of surgery?
Dear stefree60: I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2005. I was given  a Lupron shot which doesnt treat the cancer but does stop its growth for 3-4 months... some people stay on lupron for up to 10 years... thats the maximum it will keep the cancer at bay so to speak I think.  Anyway I had Proton Radiation at Loma Linda California Medical Center in Loma Linda California.  I checked out all of the various treatments available and decided on Proton Radiation due to the fact that it has a 90% cure rate and little to no side effects... I was never sick or even felt bad during my treatments and my PSA is now .03  When I was diagnosed, my PSA was 4.5 and my gleason was 6 ... very similiar to your numbers... I would highly recommend you check out proton radiation.. I think its the very best treatment available... thats my opinion.. I decided I didnt want to deal with the side effects of most of the other treatments...Loma Linda pioneered  Proton treatments in this country about 20 years ago... they  have had such great success that it is now offered in 5-6 other places in this country now.   MD Anderson started offering it about 2 years ago.... I read last week that Mayo Clinic is now in the process of constructing 2 or 3 Proton treatment centers .. Proton Radiation is very different from conventional radiation in that approximately 90% of the treatment energy is delivered exactly to the tumor being treated... no surrounding tissues or organs are damanged as it is with conventional radiation... thus ...little to no side effects... hope that makes sense.  If you would like more information on Proton Radiaton just send me a message and I will be glad to get it for you.. or I can put you in touch with a fomer proton patient in your area who would be glad to share his experience with you...Many doctors will not recommend Proton... mainly because they dont do it ...and dont make any money... if they dont treat you the way they know how...... plus they dont have the treatment facilities available... well anyway thats my story.. and after having proton radiation I am totally sold on it.. and all the former patients I know who have had it feel the same way.. hope this helps..back to your question... 3 months is what they told me... if you dont get a harmone (lupron) shot... I wish you the very best....Let me know if  you would like more info on Proton Radiation... I will be glad to help... Claytex