558?1262941669
Psychopharmacology User Group
Meds other than SSRI's
About This Group:

The function of this group is to discuss, in an objective, fact-based fashion, the therapeutic benefits, adverse effects, interactions and risks of psychopharmacological agents.

Founded by RCA759I on January 8, 2010
116 members

Meds other than SSRI's

I have been suffering with anxiety and mild depression since June 09. I have tried several of the SSRI's and they all make my anxiety unbearable to the point I think I am really going to lose it or die. I have xanax that I take when a bad panic attack comes but even it seems to make me depressed for a few days after taking it. What other kinds of anti-depressants could I try. BTW my anxiety hit the rough after stopping hydrocodone for C-section,ovarian cysts and kidney stones that required stents and lithrotripsy. I was one the hydrocodone for a total of about 17 months.
What SSRI's were you taking??  How long were you on them?  Sometimes in the beginning you have side effects such as anxiety but a lot of the time they subside.  I believe any of these drugs you have to taper off with these meds.  Even Hydrocodone should have been tapered.  If Xanax works for you thats fine but if you take it everyday you can become addicted so be sure to take it under Drs. supervision.  It really is only for short term due to addiction tendency. SSRI s are the only med that works for both anxiety and depression for me.  I have tried Wellbutrin which was a mistake because I just became more anxious so I am weaning off of it right now and going back to SSRIs.  Good luck to you, I hope you and your Dr. find something that works for you!  There are other drugs out there, don't give up.  The thing is to find a good Dr. that cares enough to listen to you and work with you.  Hang in there!  Peace.
I have tried Celexa.prozac,paxil,zoloft as far as the SSRI's. They have tried a few off lable things too. I have only managed to take them for about 4 days before my anxiety got the best of me. I felt so panicky and HOT I couldn't stand it. As for the xanax I only take it maybe once a month for a really bad panic attack.Most of the time I try to deal with it on my own. I learned the hard way that the hydrocodone should have been tapered. The prescribing doctor didn't tell me that and I paid for it. I wish I could tolerate the SSRI's but just can't tolerate the worsening anxiety. I wish there was a miracle pill for all us. I feel I am running out of medication options.Thanks for the advice.
breezytoo Xanax is a terrible drug wh... Comment
breezytoo commented on photo
breezytoo commented on breezytoo's status