Pulmonary Hypertension Expert Forum
Confused

Pulmonary hypertension is a condition associated with high blood pressure in the arteries that connect your heart with your lungs. It is a serious condition for which there are many emerging treatments but no definite cure. In this disease, the blood vessels that carry oxygen-poor blood from your heart to your lungs become hard and narrow, which causes your heart to work harder to pump the blood. This forum is a place to ask questions about Pulmonary Hypertension. Some examples are: What caused me to get pulmonary hypertension? How is pulmonary hypertension diagnosed? What treatment options are available?

IMPORTANT!! If you have a question that requires immediate medical attention, or if you think you may have an emergency situation, please call your doctor or 911 IMMEDIATELY!

Confused

I am 17 and I am confused as to what is wrong with me. When I was 13 years old, I started having a sharp, stabbing pain in my chest. I didn't take it seriously because it happened once in every three weeks. When I was 15, I started having difficulty breathing which stopped after some months.
Now I'm having symptoms I have never had before. My chest hurts for a while and then stops. I have stabbing pains around my chest. I have high blood pressure. I feel stiff at my neck. I sometimes feel cold and then hot at my back, same along my spine. I have really painfully and I feel like water is dripping and rolling in my head. Sometimes, I feel cold in some part of my body and pressure in my head. I did a blood test and the result showed that I have high blood cholesterol.
I'm so confused and I don't know what is wrong with me. Please, I need your help. Thanks.
1 Comment
Hello and welcome to the forum.

This is a pulmonary hypertension forum and from your description of your symptoms, you are unlikely to be suffering from this, which is of course very good news for you.

Unfortunately, I can not tell you why you are suffering from all of these symptoms.  My advice to you:

1. Get a good primary care physician who is sensitive/compassionate yet very good clinically to evaluate you (this may include a referral to a specialist or two
2. There is always the possibility that your symptoms are anxiety related (I dont know you of course but there are many features of your symptoms consistent with this).  However, other medical conditions should first be excluded (ie I would check your thyroid levels, etc etc).  If in the end there is a large anxiety component, this too can be effectively treated and you will feel significantly better.

Wishing you only the best.

Dr. Rich