Pulmonary Hypertension Expert Forum
Heaviness in Chest

Pulmonary hypertension is a condition associated with high blood pressure in the arteries that connect your heart with your lungs. It is a serious condition for which there are many emerging treatments but no definite cure. In this disease, the blood vessels that carry oxygen-poor blood from your heart to your lungs become hard and narrow, which causes your heart to work harder to pump the blood. This forum is a place to ask questions about Pulmonary Hypertension. Some examples are: What caused me to get pulmonary hypertension? How is pulmonary hypertension diagnosed? What treatment options are available?

IMPORTANT!! If you have a question that requires immediate medical attention, or if you think you may have an emergency situation, please call your doctor or 911 IMMEDIATELY!

Heaviness in Chest

5 years ago I suffered a pulmonary embolism. Since then it has been completely resolved. I am currently 7 weeks post partum. During my pregancy, i suffered from frequent tachycardia Lately, I've been having the sensation of chest heaviness, not short of breath, only the feeling as if I need to breath harder than normal but I am not, just kind of a heaviness. I wake in the morning and feel fine and later in the afternoon this comes on with normal activity and walking around the house. This does not happen everyday. It happended two or three days in a row and then skipped a day or two and then returned for a day and is now gone again. When this happens, my blood pressure increases a lot to 140/100. Usually it is 118/75 average. Would pulmonary hypertension cause an increase in regular blood pressure and do these symptoms sound like pulmonary hypertension? Also, I had an echo during pregnancy which I was told was normal except for a slight enlargement of the Atrium which I was told was likely due to pregnancy. Would pulmonary hypertension symptoms come and go like this? I feel perfectly fine today and other days I feel the heaviness/ tightness feeling. Thank you
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Congratulations on the new baby.

The symptoms that you describe do not sound consistent with pulmonary hypertension.  And no, blood pressure does not typically go up with PH (in fact, it can often be quite low when PH becomes clinically apparent).

I suggest that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor to for a physical and to discuss your symptoms.  Hopefully you will be reassured.  But, even though this does not sound like PH, if it is worrying you, you will have much more peace of mind if you get evaluated and are told that all is ok.  

In the meantime, try to relax while you can (even though Im sure there is not much relaxing going on with the new baby!).

All the best,

Dr. Rich