Pulmonary Hypertension Expert Forum
High PA pressure on echocardiogram
About This Forum:

Pulmonary hypertension is a condition associated with high blood pressure in the arteries that connect your heart with your lungs. It is a serious condition for which there are many emerging treatments but no definite cure. In this disease, the blood vessels that carry oxygen-poor blood from your heart to your lungs become hard and narrow, which causes your heart to work harder to pump the blood. This forum is a place to ask questions about Pulmonary Hypertension. Some examples are: What caused me to get pulmonary hypertension? How is pulmonary hypertension diagnosed? What treatment options are available?

IMPORTANT!! If you have a question that requires immediate medical attention, or if you think you may have an emergency situation, please call your doctor or 911 IMMEDIATELY!

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

High PA pressure on echocardiogram

Hi,
My husband is 32 years old and relatively healthy. He had an echocardiogram ordered by his primary care physican because there is a strong history of valve disease in his family. His echocardiogram showed that his PA pressure was 26-30. He also had some mild LV potererior wall thickening and very mild mitral valve regurgitation. His ejection fraction and everything else was within normal limits. My question is whether a resting PA pressure of 26-30 means that my husband has pulmonary hypertension. He says that he does notice any shortness of breath. He is a smoker, but has set a quit date and is trying to quit with the help of nictone replacement/electronic cigarettes (if not successful, plans to try Chantix). Should my husband see a pulmonary doctor based on PA pressure on echocardiogram alone? Any advice would bve much appreciated.

Thank you1
MM
1884349_tn?1353818598
Hello and welcome to the forum.

From your description of his echo results, I have very little concern at all.  In fact, "26-30" as reported by echo is essentially normal.  I should emphasize, however, that echo is notorious for both underestimating and overestimating pulmonary artery pressures (essentially an unreliable test).  Thus, the most important thing would be symptoms and an evaluation by a cardiologist.  However, based on those PA pressures and if his right ventricle looked normal on the test (info not provided to me), I would have very little concern at all.

The best news is the fact that he is going to quit smoking!  This will undoubtedly add years on to his life.

As far as pulmonary hypertension, however, sounds like a nonissue.

Good luck.

best,

Dr. Rich
Blank
This Forum's Experts
1884349_tn?1353818598
Jonathan D. Rich, MDBlank
Northwestern Memorial Hospital
Chicago, IL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker