Pulmonary Hypertension Expert Forum
I just want to make sure I'm covering all my bases

Pulmonary hypertension is a condition associated with high blood pressure in the arteries that connect your heart with your lungs. It is a serious condition for which there are many emerging treatments but no definite cure. In this disease, the blood vessels that carry oxygen-poor blood from your heart to your lungs become hard and narrow, which causes your heart to work harder to pump the blood. This forum is a place to ask questions about Pulmonary Hypertension. Some examples are: What caused me to get pulmonary hypertension? How is pulmonary hypertension diagnosed? What treatment options are available?

IMPORTANT!! If you have a question that requires immediate medical attention, or if you think you may have an emergency situation, please call your doctor or 911 IMMEDIATELY!

Hi. I am a 31 year old female and mother of one 15 month old little boy.
In March I had a really bad asthma episode and missed 6 weeks of work. I've had asthma my whole life. I've never been this sick. My PFTs show "mild" asthma. Nevertheless, I was short of breath for weeks. There was no wheezing, just dry coughing. During April (during the episode) I had a normal chest xray and normal ekg. There were no pulmonary embolisms.
I'm on all the appropriate asthma meds and I feel like my asthma is under control.
However, I'm am still having shortness of breath. Sometimes episodes of shortness of breath and sometimes all day. I told my pulmonologist this and he sent me to a vocal cord dysfunction expert, who says I have VCD/an non-organic breathing disorder and chronic hyperventilation. I have been doing exercises for these issues. The exercises only mildly help me.
Additionally, I am being treated by a psychiatrist for anxiety as a result of all of this. I feel my anxiety is under control.
I can accept this diagnosis of the VCD/non-organic breathing disorder, however I want to make sure I'm covering all my bases. I was a CNA in a cardiac unit for years. I know what pulmonary hypertension is and its the only thing that makes me nervous. My question for you is do you think I need to get a second opinion? Do you think that part of that second opinion needs to be with a cardiologist? I'm a mother. I do not want to miss something - its too important. However, please feel free to let me know if you think I'm just really nervous about something that is not likely.
I appreciate your help.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

The chance that you have pulmonary hypertension is EXTREMELY unlikely.  However, I understand your concern.  It think it is indeed reasonable to get a 2nd opinion with a cardiologist (mostly as a 2nd opinion for your shortness of breath not for PH).  In the process, however, you can mention PH to him and I suspect he will be able to reassure you that you do not have this.

Hope you are enjoying your little boy.

All the best,

Dr.Rich