Pulmonary Hypertension Expert Forum
Low blood oxygen level on infant

Pulmonary hypertension is a condition associated with high blood pressure in the arteries that connect your heart with your lungs. It is a serious condition for which there are many emerging treatments but no definite cure. In this disease, the blood vessels that carry oxygen-poor blood from your heart to your lungs become hard and narrow, which causes your heart to work harder to pump the blood. This forum is a place to ask questions about Pulmonary Hypertension. Some examples are: What caused me to get pulmonary hypertension? How is pulmonary hypertension diagnosed? What treatment options are available?

IMPORTANT!! If you have a question that requires immediate medical attention, or if you think you may have an emergency situation, please call your doctor or 911 IMMEDIATELY!

Low blood oxygen level on infant

My daughter is 7 days old. She was delivered via C-Section. We were discharged from hospital normally. We had to go to hospital a day later due to a low body temperature. (the rectal temp was 96 two times). However, after coming to hospital the temp went to normal (above 98 below 99.8). But they discovered that she has low blood oxygen level - when she is deep asleep.

The oxygen level goes down to 87 - 88 and stays there for sometime (around 1 minute or more) when she is in deep sleep. Sometimes she reacts by taking deep breath or moving and brings back the O2 Level back above 90. She is being given 0.1 Oxygen via a tube, and with that small amount of Oxygen she is having her O2 level above 90 even in deep sleep.  

She has no problems other than the number displayed on the monitor for low O2 level. She is alert, feeds well, gained weight and crossed her birth weight (6 pounds 1 ounce), cries normally. The pulmonology specialist did not notice any breathing problems but still not sure what the root cause of the low O2 level is.

No body is able to determine the root cause of this low O2 level. Can you please review this and the tests conducted (below) and give any hints or suggestions?

I would really appreciate and will be grateful for the advice.

The following were the tests conducted and their results.

1) CT Scan [Result: Normal]
2) Echo Cardiogra [Result: Normal]
3) Upper GI test [Result: Gastro reflux]
4) CO2 (electrolyte test) on blood [Result: Normal]
5) Blood count [Result: Normal]
6) Chest X-Ray [Result: Normal]
7) Spinal fluid, urine, blood culture [Result: Normal, but was given antibiotics for 48 hrs till the result came back negative]
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I am sorry for the stress that you must be under with your new baby.  I hope and pray that any problems that she has get sorted out soon and that she continues to grow and thrive.

Unfortunately, as an adult doctor, I do not feel comfortable providing medical advice for your newborn baby.  As I tell most people though, the most important thing is that you have an open line of communication with your baby's health care providers and that you feel comfortable that she is in competent hands.  If you are at a small community hospital for example, and the doctors seem perplexed, you might consider a second opinion and have her seen/transferred to a large academic medical center with a strong childrens/neonatal hospital.

Wishing you and your family only the best.

Dr. Rich