Pulmonary Hypertension Expert Forum
is it really pulmonary hypertension

Pulmonary hypertension is a condition associated with high blood pressure in the arteries that connect your heart with your lungs. It is a serious condition for which there are many emerging treatments but no definite cure. In this disease, the blood vessels that carry oxygen-poor blood from your heart to your lungs become hard and narrow, which causes your heart to work harder to pump the blood. This forum is a place to ask questions about Pulmonary Hypertension. Some examples are: What caused me to get pulmonary hypertension? How is pulmonary hypertension diagnosed? What treatment options are available?

IMPORTANT!! If you have a question that requires immediate medical attention, or if you think you may have an emergency situation, please call your doctor or 911 IMMEDIATELY!

is it really pulmonary hypertension

I'm 60 years old and been athletic most of my life and in good health with no major surgeries or illness.  Up to one month ago I was walking 5 miles a day and working out in the gym, but then I started getting pain in the shoulders, neck and chest upon strolling less than a mile.  An EKG showed PVCs, a stress test was negative, but auscultation of my chest revealed "many irregularities".  My pulse fluctuated between 40 and 170 and was very irregular.  I was easily fatigued needing a 2 hr. nap every day.  The chest pressure came on after just standing in my kitchen for an hour.  After wearing a holter monitor for 24 hrs., I was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension and atrial fibrillation.  The cardiologist told me I was at 52% PH and that 60% is fatal. I'm not sure what the percentage is indicative of.   I was put on metroprolol 75 mg a day which seems to help and magnesium controls the palpitations.  A nuclear heart scan was negative.  An echo cardiogram and a bubble echo cardiogram was negative.  A nuclear lung scan and a pulmonary function test was negative.  A chest x-ray was indicative of emphysema.  I've never smoked.
In October 2011, I used HCG injections for 23 days.  Could the HCG be responsible for my current problems?  Is it truly clear that I have PH and if so what could be the trigger.  I'm tired of all the testing, is there anything I can do other than medication to improve my condition?  I can no longer do aerobics, but I'm lifting light weights.  Someone suggested that I may have Lyme disease. I got tested, but the MD never called me about my lab work, I assume I don't have Lyme disease.
Hello and welcome to the forum.

1. It sounds like your symptoms are most likely attributable to the atrial fibrillation.  This needs to be effectively managed with medications (+/- a cardioversion). You should be seeing a cardiologist for this.

2. I cant comment on the PH diagnosis.  I would be surprised if you truly had pulmonary arterial hypertension.  But, if there were legitimate concern for this, you will need a right heart catheterization to make the diagnosis.  And I do not understand the 52% vs 60% thing...this concept does not exist.

3. Please be sure you are in competent hands.  If you are, I suspect you will continue to feel better and that the PH issue will be clarified.

All the best,

Dr. Rich
Thank you for your response, it made me more hopeful.  I found this information online tonight from several sources:

recently researchers have linked atrial fibrillation (fluttering of the top chambers of the heart) with Chlamydia pneumonia respiratory infection. Patients with atrial fibrillation and/or Chlamydia pneumoniae infection often have the same accompanying problems of high blood pressure, heart attack and reduced lung function. [Medical Hypotheses 67: 462, 2006]

resveratrol, commonly found in concentrated form in red wine, is active against Chlamydia pneumoniae, which may be one reason why wine drinkers exhibit reduced risk for heart disease.

However, while prescription antibiotics may generate drug-resistant forms of bacteria like Chlamydia pneumoniae [Antimicrobial Agents Chemotherapy 49:903—7, 2005], there are molecules found in nature that are quite active against this germ that do not induce germ resistance. Myricetin, naturally found in berries, is 100% active in inhibiting Chlamydia pneumoniae, does not induce drug-resistance, and is available as a dietary supplement.

I'd appreciate a response if you have an opinion on this.  I've ordered myricetin.
Atrial fibrillation is EXTREMELY common and is almost NEVER associated with chlamydia pneumoniae (in other words, >99.9% of cases are not associated with this infection).

Save your money and your anxiety.  And most importantly, do not self treat.  Any competent cardiologist will be able to take care of this condition for you.

Good luck.

Dr. Rich