Pulmonary Hypertension Expert Forum
pulmonary hypertension

Pulmonary hypertension is a condition associated with high blood pressure in the arteries that connect your heart with your lungs. It is a serious condition for which there are many emerging treatments but no definite cure. In this disease, the blood vessels that carry oxygen-poor blood from your heart to your lungs become hard and narrow, which causes your heart to work harder to pump the blood. This forum is a place to ask questions about Pulmonary Hypertension. Some examples are: What caused me to get pulmonary hypertension? How is pulmonary hypertension diagnosed? What treatment options are available?

IMPORTANT!! If you have a question that requires immediate medical attention, or if you think you may have an emergency situation, please call your doctor or 911 IMMEDIATELY!

pulmonary hypertension

I had an echo is 2009 that showed mild pulmonary hypertension at 37 .  Just had a repeat the other day, Dr called me today in a  panic  as the numbers went up to over 50.  I have to go for lung xray, pulmonary test and to see a cardiologist.  My question is this, I was having major anxiety during the echo, my systemic blood pressure is usually around 106/70 but was 187/87 during that test.  Could anxiety cause the hypertension in the lungs to be higher?
Also, my ejection fraction was 70% which she said was probably because the heart is compensating for the lungs.
Needless to say, I am petrified.
Thanks.
Judy
Tags: Pulmonary
Dear Judy,

Welcome to the forum.

I hope to alleviate some of your fears.

1. You may or may not have pulmonary hypertension. Echo is unreliable. If there is significant enough concern for PH, then a heart cath is the way to go.
2. High blood pressure can absolutely lead to higher pressures in the lungs (and even the pressures as reported by the echo were not that high).
3. Please give strong consideration to seeing a different cardiologist if this is the kind of care you continue to receive.
4. I have a feeling that you are going to be ok.
5. Seeking treatment for your anxiety regardless is a very good thing--you will simply feel sooo much happier in general.  So many people are affected by anxiety but dont get it treated.

Wishing you only the best.

Dr. Rich
Thank you so much for your response.   I haven't met with the Cardiologist yet, it was my PCP that ordered the echo and called me with the results.  I have  had a chest x ray and PFT and both were normal.  I actually got up to 138 on the PFT !  
Anxiety is not a good thing at all, it's something I've been dealing with since I went through a traumatic event in my 20's.
Again, thank you so much for your time!
Judy
I have a few questions on my previous post.  I found out that the echo I had in 2006 had a PA pressure of 45, the one in 09 was 37 and then this one 55.  My question is if I truly had PH wouldn't I have progressed by now?
I have to go have a repeat echo next week for the pressure and then if it's still high, the Cardiologist wants to do a cath.  If the pressure is lower, then he suggests we do nothing for 6 months and then a recheck with an echo. The echo itself indicates the heart is normal and I passed my PFT with flying colors and chest x ray was fine.
I am having some more bloodwork done with the Rheumatologist for autoimmune screening as well.
Would you recommend the heart cath anyway?
I'm a little perplexed I guess.  I had the repeat echo which showed PA pressure at 46 .  For the past 10 years I have had higher than normal pressure and no one has said anything until now.  The cardiologist recommendation is to do nothing but a repeat echo in 6 months.  I have had bloodwork done for autoimmune diseases and still waiting for the results.  My question is whether or not I should be concerned at this point about having  PAH?  Should I obtain a second opinion?