Radiology Community
Help with a knee MRI please?

WELCOME TO THE RADIOLOGY COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to: Cancer Treatment, CT/CAT Scan, Mammography, MRI, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy, Ultrasound, X-rays and all things related to radiology.

Help with a knee MRI please?

I would like someone with expertise to answer a few questions if they can, thank you.

My MRI says: Swelling and signal alteration along the course of the anterior cruciate ligament is identified and the anterior cruciate ligament is focally disrupted at the point where it crosses the posterior cruciate ligament. The posterior cruciate ligament is intact.

I am wondering if this is a complete tear or a could it be a partial tear? I also have a bone bruise on the lateral and posterior aspect of my lateral tibial plateau.

Thank you for any help. I just don't know what focally disrupted means.

Tags: acl, Knee, MRI
Avatar_dr_f_tn
HI,
I understand your concern regarding the MRI result. Ligaments, tendons, and menisci all have highly ordered collagen ultrastructure,  and they  are uniformly dark or hypointense on traditional MRI. Degeneration or tearing of these structures interferes with the collagen uniformity and usually manifest as increased signal intensity in the affected areas.  For proper evaluation, additional information  and direct clinical evaluation is needed. It is best that you discuss the result with your attending physician. A review of the MRI plates may also help. Take care and do keep us posted.