Radiology Community
Hypoechoic masses

WELCOME TO THE RADIOLOGY COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to: Cancer Treatment, CT/CAT Scan, Mammography, MRI, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy, Ultrasound, X-rays and all things related to radiology.

Hypoechoic masses

I am Vishakha, 26 years of age.

My ultrasound report showed that i have small hypoechoic masses, exactly behind my ears on the side of the neck.
It measures maximum 1 cm.
Last year in June 2010,  i had this and all of a sudden it went away. I used to have milk in majority during that time.
It has come back all of a sudden now. It pains only when i press it.

Can you please let me know the reason why it appears and what are the steps i need to take now to prevent it.
The description you provide is not specific.  Things that can be hypoechic vary widly and include cysts, lymph nodes, other fluid collection, other soft tissue nodules or masses.  Given that location, and the fact that you indicate (or seem to indicate) that they are on both sides of the ears, then these are most likely lymph nodes.  Lymph nodes can be tender if there is inflammation, a condition called adenitis.  There is nothing specific to prevent this if you are having adenitis, since it occurs due to infections around the head and neck, particularly viral infections.  Somtimes anti-inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen can improve symptoms.

Lymph nodes can have a very characteristic look on ultrasound.  The classic description is hypoechoic nodules with central hilar hyperechoic fatty hilum, although not all lymph nodes exhibit this characteristic appearance.