Radiology Community
MRA Results for Shoulder

WELCOME TO THE RADIOLOGY COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to: Cancer Treatment, CT/CAT Scan, Mammography, MRI, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy, Ultrasound, X-rays and all things related to radiology.

MRA Results for Shoulder

Hello, I recently had my results for MRA'S on both shoulders due to pain. I hurt them both doing bench press and finally gave up going to the gym for a year and they still hurt, so I have visited a surgeon who sent me for MRAS and said they both are clear, Physio will sort your problem out, bare in mind I've had Physio for 3 months before with no relief. He said "Specialized physio" will cure it and that normal physio could go on forever without solving the problem, he is a top surgeon who treats professional athletes but I just wanted to come on here and ask if these MRA'S are normal

Left Shoulder -

Please note, there is some extravasation of contrast into the Subcromial Bursa posteriorly.

The AC Joint and Coracoacromial Arch are normal. There is no subacromial Bursitis.

The long head of biceps and rotator interval are normal. The biceps ancor is intact, but there is a prominent area of high signal intensity extending into the chondro-labral junction of the superior labrum consitent with the sub labral sulcus. No definite SLAP tear is seen.

The remainder of the glenoid labrum is normal. The capsular insertions and glenohumeral ligaments are normal.

There is no rotator cuff tear. There is no significant chondrosis within the gleo-humeral joint.

Conclusion - Sub labral sulcus of the superior labrum without definite true SLAP tear demonstrated. No other abnormality.

Right Shoulder -

The AC Joint and Coracoacromial Arch are normal. The rotator cuff is intact and normal.

The long head of biceps and rotator interval are normal. The biceps anchor is intact. There is a prominent sub-labral sulcus in the superior labrum extending posteriorly from the biceps ancor, but there does not appear to be a true slap tear.

There is no significant chondrosis within the gleo-humeral joint.

So my question is, what is a " sub labral sulcus " mean? Before I had the MRA I personally thought I had a SLAP tear due to my symptoms, but the surgeon said the MRA is clear.

Thanks in advance for any response.
The sub labral sulcus is a recess between the biceps-labral complex and the superior portion of the glenoid cartilage. It is difficult to differentiate it from a SLAP lesion by means of imaging methods.
You need to get the MRI checked from your osthopedician and then treatment can be decided.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.