Radiology Community
MRI/Cyst/Tumor

WELCOME TO THE RADIOLOGY COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to: Cancer Treatment, CT/CAT Scan, Mammography, MRI, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy, Ultrasound, X-rays and all things related to radiology.

MRI/Cyst/Tumor

I have had an MRI on my upper & lower spine.  It showed degeneration of both areas due to arthritis.  I've been given several epidural shots over the years.  The last time I had one in my lower back, it took forever because all the entries were blocked up.  They had to reroute needle through the front.  That shot only lasted 2 months if that.  So I decided to talk to the doctor.  He did not give me much help.  Now I take Tramadol three times a day.,  I have to take it upon rising in the morning because the pain in the back of my legs, especially the right one is excruciating!  What I want to know is how often should you have an MRI to show if there is a cyst or tumor on your spine?  And do you nave to have contrast to detect it?  I have not had an MRI with contrast.  Please help because I am so so tired of this pain and taking pills.  Carol
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi Carol,
How are you? I'm sorry to hear what you have been through for the last years. If pain medications are not helping, you can alsotry complementary and alternative medicine such as biofeedback therapy and acupuncture. Magnetic resonance imaging machines use powerful magnets to create detailed images of soft tissues, including organs, nerves and veins without the radiation risks associated with CT scans. MRI without contrast may already identify the issue but it is best that you discuss this with your doctor also for proper evaluation. Take care and do keep us posted.