Radiology Community
Radiologist said to see a gynocologist and she didn't see anything...

WELCOME TO THE RADIOLOGY COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to: Cancer Treatment, CT/CAT Scan, Mammography, MRI, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy, Ultrasound, X-rays and all things related to radiology.

Radiologist said to see a gynocologist and she didn't see anything wrong

I have had cramping and pms symptoms for two months.  No bleeding in between periods, but a clear discharge which is new to me and happens daily.  My period happens and then I think the pms is will finally be over and it's not.  
The next day I have cramps, pain, discharge, tender breasts, emotional, and back pain.  My doctor ordered me to have a vaginal ultrasound and the radiologist told me to see a gynecologist.  

I did, and the gynecologist was surprised they sent me and didn't see anything to be alarmed about.  I told her my symptoms (the cramps and back pain are the worst), she said that I had endometriosis and wanted me to take birth control pills, which I really DO NOT want to take.  If I didn't take them, then I would continue to have pain.  She told me that with endometriosis I should only have cramping during my cycle and she thought that it was strange that I had cramping and pain every day along with the discharge, that she did comment on.  So, I wondered if maybe it's not endometriosis?  Is there something else that I can ask about?  The exam that she did was VERY painful.  The findings from my ultra sound are as follows.  

-No abnormal endometrial thickening
-uterus is mildly heterogeneous and associated with an apparent small near isoechoic subserosal nodule along the left side of the fundus, measuring 1.6x.9x.9
-Left ovary has small anechoic thin walled cysts, larges 1.6 cm consistant with functioning ovarian follicles.
-Both ovaries intact blood flow.
-Endometrium 8.2 mm
-Uterus 8.8x4.8x5.9 with volume 124cc.
-Trace free pelvic fluid, no adnexal mass, tubo-ovarian abscess or hydrosalpinx.
-Right ovary 3.2x1.3x1.9
-Left ovary 4.2x2.6x3.1cm with an estimated volume of 18cc
-No free pelvic fluid

If all of this looks picture perfect and I really shouldn't have gone to a gynecologist, does anyone have any idea why I have all of these symptoms?  Could it really be endometriosis and the only option for me is birth control?  I am 37 with three kids.  Thank you for your help.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Endometriosis usually present with painful periods, pelvic pain and cramping, pain with intercourse, pain with bowel movements or urination, excessive bleeding and sometimes fatigue, diarrhea, constipation, bloating or nausea, especially during menstrual periods. Diagnosis of endometriosis is through pelvic exam, ultrasound,  and laparoscopy.  Definite diagnosis is through direct visualization inside your abdomen through a scope and look for signs of endometrial implants. If a laparoscopy was not done, you can have a second opinion from another gynecologist to rule out pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) or ovarian cysts. Take care and do keep us posted.