Radiology Community
To many Radiation on my 13 years old son? Please help!!

WELCOME TO THE RADIOLOGY COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to: Cancer Treatment, CT/CAT Scan, Mammography, MRI, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy, Ultrasound, X-rays and all things related to radiology.

Good day!
I am very worry Mum at the moment if my son was exposedto to any radiations in his life! Back three years he had rugby accident, fracture of L5, the doctor order CT scan of his Luimbar Spine without contrast and then onather Xrays of Spine Cervical & Thoracolumbar, Xrays Pelvis, , after one month another Xrays of Lumbosacral Spine, at this time he was only 13 years!! I did not know at this time how bad is Xrays and CT scan, I only start browsing Internet now, when onother Xrays where done after 3 years to check on his spine, Xrays of Lumbar Spine after 3 Years. All together he had one Ct Scan and 3 lots of Xrays, plus Xrays of his hand this was probably bach 4 years ago, and I think Xrays of the spine are carrie a big radiation. I dont know how big compare tp radiation of the bakground. To me is just to many for his young body.
His back is much better now, he is lucky he is walking and doing normal stuff what boys in his age do, with exercise and changing the sports in his live he just fine. Just me as his mum worry he has to many Xrays and worry in the future this will turn into something nasty. Feeling quilty as his mum to put him into this danger, why doctors order so many Xrays, putting child into so many radiations!
Please could somone with the knowledge answer answer if this was to much and what consequence could be in future from radiations. I am so worry now. How big is radiation from Lumbar Ct scan and Xrays on a child? Ad if he is safe?
My husband is telling me not to worry, but I am still worry because we are the parents we take responsability and we love them.
Thank you for looking at my question!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? I understand your concern and it is normal for mothers like us to  worry about our children in issues such as this. However, radiation levels from x-rays and scans are usually just minimum and for multiple exposures,  benefits usually outweigh the risks in determining the diagnosis and treatment plan. Take care and do keep us posted.