Radiology Community
xrays and didnt know i was pregnant!

WELCOME TO THE RADIOLOGY COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to: Cancer Treatment, CT/CAT Scan, Mammography, MRI, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy, Ultrasound, X-rays and all things related to radiology.

xrays and didnt know i was pregnant!

Hello, so i found out 3 days ago that i'm pregnant. I'm ecstatic but worried cuz on the 30 i had 4 tailbone xrays done. If my calculations r correct conception was on or around the 24 of july. So technically i was 6 days pregnant. I'm so scared of the effects, plzs of anybody has info or went thro something similar, id app any comment. Thxs!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? If you had a diagnostic X-ray before you knew you were pregnant, any potential risk is exceedingly remote. While it is true that high doses of radiation can cause changes in a baby's rapidly growing cells, consider also  that the typical dose of radiation associated with a diagnostic X-ray, does not usually pose potential risk. To ease any worry, check with your obstetrician and have an ultrasound done to determine the estimated age of gestation. You can also ask for a referral to a medical radiation physicist to calculate baby's radiation exposure. Take care and regards.