Radiology (Diagnostic) Expert Forum
Bone Scan Question

Questions in the Diagnostic Radiology forum cover topics including body imaging, bone scans, breast imaging, CT scan, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), MRA, NMR, ultrasound, and x-rays.

Bone Scan Question

My bone scan indicated that I have mildly increased uptake within L5, either reactive dues to degenerative changes or related to a subacute to chronic fracture. What does that mean?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
A bone scan is often performed to look for local areas of increased or decreased bone turnover. In your case, there is increased bone turnover at the bottom of you spine. The radiologist who interpreted the images thought that this was most likely due to "wear and tear" or possibly an injury which resulted in this vertebrae to break at least a few weeks ago if not longer. It is often not possible to separate the causes on the bone scan alone and further imaging and clinical history would be required.