Radiology (Diagnostic) Expert Forum
Bone infarct

Questions in the Diagnostic Radiology forum cover topics including body imaging, bone scans, breast imaging, CT scan, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), MRA, NMR, ultrasound, and x-rays.

Bone infarct

Well after my xray showed a slceortic lesion in the distal femur, I had an MRI that confirmed a bone infarct. Now I have been refered to a orthapeadic doctor. The pain is constant & getting worse and is in both legs(knees up) but only one has been tested. What should I make certain the specialist orders as far as tests when I go to see him? I have read about all the different possibilities that this could be..need direction please?
Clinical features of bone infarct depend on the stage of the disease and the site of involvement. Patients with medullary infarcts are usually asymptomatic. If present, symptoms are nonspecific in the early stages of the disease. Localized pain is the most common presentation for both medullary infarcts. Causes for this are many and are may be post traumatic, idiopathic, sickle cell disease, steroids, Gaucher’s, pancreatits, pregnancy, SLE, radiation, alcoholism  etc. Further course would be look for why this happened and is there any complication. An orthopedic consult is required for further insight into management.
U have specifically asked what diagnostic tests I should request fro my Orthapedic doctor when I go to see him regarding teh bone infacrt found onmy MRI...it first showed up as a sclerotic lesion on normal xrays, now as an nfarct in the distal femur. In order for me to determine the etiology of this should I requesdt a bone scan or pet scan? I don't drink, use drugs, have no history of injury and I am not African American so that rules out some diagnosis specific to this find. What are the specific diagnostic tests to find out the etiology of this bone infarct?