Radiology (Diagnostic) Expert Forum
Can a CT scan miss a pituitary tumor?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Diagnostic Radiology forum cover topics including body imaging, bone scans, breast imaging, CT scan, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), MRA, NMR, ultrasound, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Can a CT scan miss a pituitary tumor?

Hi,

I had a CT scan done at the emergency room this morning, It came back normal. I want to know if it is possible to miss a pitutary tumor on a CT scan. I have abnormal hormone levels, no period for 6 months, blurred vision and a smashing headache.  I feel 'Drunk like' all the time.   Should I push for a MRI? Are they better at detected tumors?
Related Discussions
301037_tn?1213868178
CT scan is very insensitive to detection of pituitary tumours, if a sellar tumour is suspected and hormonal levels are deranged for example raised prolactin,ideal to be done is Contrast enhanced dynamic MRI.
2 Comments
Blank
they missed mine for three years  5 cat scans emeregency room  get a mri at the best mri machine in the united states las vegas nevada nevada image on rainbow dr orrison hes the best found mine 4 years ago dr h shaheinen skull base instuite did my surgery they just found another tumor yesterday  2 weeks ago the er did cat said everthing was ok gave lots of drugs sent me on my way pumped full of narcotics  the ers are just large pharmacys dont expect to get any answer from them  just drugs
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...
Sep 04 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979