Radiology (Diagnostic) Expert Forum
PET/CT scan hot spots
About This Forum:

Questions in the Diagnostic Radiology forum cover topics including body imaging, bone scans, breast imaging, CT scan, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), MRA, NMR, ultrasound, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

PET/CT scan hot spots

I had a PET and CT 2/07.  Showed a hot spot in chest between the breast and the lungs.  They call it the chest area.  I had breast cancer in 5/06 with double mast in 7/06 so I had no real breast tissue at the time of the scan.  I had a bad infection in 11/06 that required 4 weeks of IV meds.  They called the hot spot a scar or infection left over from the 11/06.

I found a lump on my implant in 7/07 and had it removed.  Cancer again.  This time it was ER+ they call it a new cancer.  Had 8 rounds of ACT and just ended.  Had a PET/CT scan again last week 1/08.  The hot spot was still there but now smaller.  My onc. said not to worry and he will get another PET/CT following my 6 weeks of radiation.  I meet with my radiation doctor next week and would like to ask him more but not sure what to ask and want to be prepared.

To sum: I have a hot spot that has been hot for almost a year but is now smaller following chemo.

1- What questions should I be asking my radiation doctor about this spot?  I didn't ask my onc. about this because I must of been shock or he said not to worry he will take care of me and keep an eye on it and I trust him.  However, now I am worried and scared and want to know more.  Could this be cancer?
2- Can a scar or infection still show hot for years?
3- Can a scar or infection get smaller?
4- What other tests should I have?