Radiology (Diagnostic) Expert Forum
Renal Cyst Size on MRI and CT Scan

Questions in the Diagnostic Radiology forum cover topics including body imaging, bone scans, breast imaging, CT scan, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), MRA, NMR, ultrasound, and x-rays.

Renal Cyst Size on MRI and CT Scan
Hi:

I have a mildly hyperdense renal cyst on my left kidney which does not enhance after contrast administration. CT report states the size as 1.5 cm and MRI states the size as 2 cm. Which one is the corredct size?

Thanks,
Ari
Lot of factors goes into measuring the size of the lesion including difference in slice thickness, modality used and interobserver variability.so nothing really to bother about between the difference in sizes i would rather suggest this to be measurement variability which is a known thing in medical literature. so the size of the cyst would be between the two values. 3-4mm of variability in measuring renal lesion sizes  is known in measurenments even when using same modality and same set of radiologists..