Radiology (Diagnostic) Expert Forum
Swollen Lymph nodes on Mammogram of 36 yr old - despite being on Imuran...
About This Forum:

Questions in the Diagnostic Radiology forum cover topics including body imaging, bone scans, breast imaging, CT scan, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), MRA, NMR, ultrasound, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Swollen Lymph nodes on Mammogram of 36 yr old - despite being on Imuran

I am 36. I had my first Mammogram Monday after finding a lump and telling my dr. They shot several different views of the breast and focussed in on the lump a couple of more times.

Apparently the lump i felt was really 2 swollen lymph nodes within my left breast (medial). The radiologist said I had to come back in 3 months to have another ultrasound to see if there was any change in the size, and things would go from there.

Here is where I am a lil confused. 1st - I had only heard of lymph node involvement used to determine the stage of the cancer. 2nd, I had no idea I had lymph nodes within the breast tissue (other than under the arm!). Thirdly, and most importantly to me, I am on Imuran for Crohn's Disease. I thougth Imuran would stop the body from having any immune reaction to anything in my body. So I thought that meant in addition to not getting fevers, and colds that last two months long, i thought that I could not have any swollen nodes/glands.

** The radiologist told me that often before a cancer appears there may be lymph nodes swelling in preparation. **

Because the lump I felt was actually a swollen lymph node, does that increase my odds of it being cancer?

I realize in retrospect how much I owe my breasts - for my daughter's nutrition when she was young (she is 10 and i still lactate a lil bit) and also owe them for very un-feminist reasons, such as getting service 1st when waiting at the Future Shop.

And while I may have thought about how nice a breast lift would be, I now would much rather keep my sagging Es  than have surgery - even sumthin to lift.

I left the Breast Screening place without making the next appt - I was spooked

Thanks for reading my question. I am having trouble focussing on other things while my mind wrestles with the Imuran/immune response query, I appreciate your time and feedback.

I want to keep my Curvy Gurlness - all natural, the way I was sculpted :D