Radiology (Diagnostic) Expert Forum
X-Ray right hip

Questions in the Diagnostic Radiology forum cover topics including body imaging, bone scans, breast imaging, CT scan, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), MRA, NMR, ultrasound, and x-rays.

X-Ray right hip
My 21 month old son recently went to be x-rayed as he was limping on his left leg. The limp has since cleared up but the following was noted by the radiologist:

"X-Ray Right Hip

On the AP view there is equivocal mild lateral subluxation of the femoral epiphysis in relation to the acetabulum. The femoral epiphysis appears normally aligned in relation to the neck of the femur. Normal alignment on the oblique view."

It then recommends we get an orthopaedic opinion.

What does it mean exactly in normal language and should I be worried as we can only see the orthopaed in 4 months time?

Erica
from what i understd from your report there is mild lateral subluxation (which means displacement) which may indicate developmental dysplasia/a congenital problem wherein the hip is dysplastic and prone to dislocation. Orthopedician will be the best judge.