Radiology (Diagnostic) Expert Forum
red marrow reconversion

Questions in the Diagnostic Radiology forum cover topics including body imaging, bone scans, breast imaging, CT scan, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), MRA, NMR, ultrasound, and x-rays.

red marrow reconversion
I recently had an MRI of the knee.   In addition to having a myriad of other problems, such as an extensive medial meniscal tear, the possibility of two other tears, chondromalacia, osteoarthritis, spurring...  it was also mentioned that I have "severe femoral, tibial, and fibular red marrow reconversion."    I am not a smoker and never was,  but I am clinically (not morbidly) obese.    I was recently diagnosed with mono/EBV, from which I am still recovering.   I have constant knee pain, 10 on a 10 scale most of the time (significantly worse than labor or the kidney stone I had last year),  and I'm very tired, sometimes requiring naps of 3-4 hours in duration.  

I am seeing an orthopedist in two days.  My question is...is the "severe red marrow reconversion" clinically significant in other than an orthopedic context?   Should my primary follow this up with any lab work?  
Normal bone marrow has yellow marrow and red marrow. Yellow marrow is more of fat and red marrow is more of haematopoitic tissue. in infants marrow is predominantly hematopoietic with the exception of epiphyses & apophyses, which are predominantly fatty throughout life. with skeletal growth, red marrow is gradually replaced by fat. red marrow persists longer in the vertebrae, pelvic bones, sternum, & proximal ends of the long tubular bones, during normal marrow conversion, residual islands of red marrow may subsist in the yellow marrow, as may fatty foci in red marrow.islands of red marrow residue may be a normal variant especially in obese women, cigarette smokers, marathon runners.  It may be pathological some times in cases of hemolytic processes / anemia/hypoxia.