Radiology Expert Forum
4 vessel Umbilical Cord

Welcome to the Radiology Forum! Questions in this forum are being answered by medical professionals. Topics covered in this forum include Breast Imaging, CT/CAT Scan, Mammography, MRI, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy, Ultrasound and X-rays.

4 vessel Umbilical Cord

I had an ultrasound done yesterday and they found that I had a 4 vessel umbilical cord, and my doctor told me that it usually suggests that there are congenital birth defects within the baby, but he said from the looks of everything the baby looks healthy and doesnt seem like it has congenital birth defects. My question is, should I worry or not? I've been trying to find some answer to whats exactly going on. I wonder if there are hidden congenital birth defects that arent appearing. And if so what congenital defects can I expect since having 4 vessels in the umbilical cord?  Please help me out, I'm worried to death. Also they said I had a high normal fluid level that day. The month prior or so They said it was a high normal then my doctor had me get checked again on the fluid levels and it was normal and now it's back to being a high normal.

I need some type of insight, some type of relief or knowledge on what's going on, please help!!

-Kelsey
Tags: umbilical anomalies, Pregnancy, Help Please!
Definitely try not to worry --- continued to follow-up with your doctor and follow-up ultrasounds (if they recommended) would help reassure them as well as you that there will be no congenital birth defects.  Sometimes these findings can totally be red herrings -- Are any follow-up ultrasounds planned?

Best wishes,
GC
hi, i don't know much about 4 vessel cords... only that my daughter was born in september and the midwife dicovered our cord had 4 vessels........... she has no abnormalities whatsoever... none of the hospital staff had ever seen it before and i struggled to find any informaton about it!!!!

try not to worry!!!!

wishing you all the best.... Bex