Radiology Expert Forum
Calcium Deposit or Inflammation (White Spot on X-Ray)

Welcome to the Radiology Forum! Questions in this forum are being answered by medical professionals. Topics covered in this forum include Breast Imaging, CT/CAT Scan, Mammography, MRI, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy, Ultrasound and X-rays.

There is a white spot in my side-view cervical spine x-ray. This spot is close to the spine but not connected (separate from the spine). One orthopedic surgeon said it is inflammation, the other said it is calcium deposit. Since their treatment suggestion is different, I would like to know what is it more likely to be?
Difficult to say not seeing the images but these 'white spots' on x-rays near the spine but separate to the spine can mean a number of things... calcium deposit is definitely a possibility (most likely).  Sounds overall it is most likely a benign process -- statistically, these findings are benign and often with no clear explanation unfortunately.