Radiology Expert Forum
Can the spleen grow back?

Welcome to the Radiology Forum! Questions in this forum are being answered by medical professionals. Topics covered in this forum include Breast Imaging, CT/CAT Scan, Mammography, MRI, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy, Ultrasound and X-rays.

Can the spleen grow back?
I had a splenectomy in 2004. In 2009 I had an US on the abdomen for hematuria. The US report stated the spleen appeared normal.  I have heard that if any splenic tissue is left, that the spleen can regrow. Is it possible that my spleen had grown back (great for my immune system!) or is there other abdominal tissues that could be misread as a spleen? When I received the report, I questioned the clinic staff. They brought it to the radiologist's attention but he only had them delete the comment about the spleen and did not reread my test. Is it worth my time and money to have another US? Not having a spleen has complicated my being able to have other procedures because the treating doctor is concerned about the compromised immunity/risks for infection.  Thank you for your assistance.
Dear mlaurel,

Your concern is very valid.  

I recommend directly contacting your doctor and/or radiologist to clarify this report.  You should have the study re-read and report corrected if the spleen truly is not present based on imaging.  

Otherwise you should seek a second opinion with the images or obtain another ultrasound for clarification.

Best wishes!  Hope this works out.  Keep us posted.
Thank you for your response. I will follow up with my doctor. God bless.