Radiology Expert Forum
Does gastric cancer show on CT scan?

Welcome to the Radiology Forum! Questions in this forum are being answered by medical professionals. Topics covered in this forum include Breast Imaging, CT/CAT Scan, Mammography, MRI, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy, Ultrasound and X-rays.

Does gastric cancer show on CT scan?

I started having GERD/acid reflux symptoms that popped up out of nowhere one day, close to a year ago. I was diagnosed with a duodenal ulcer, based off of symptoms, about 8 months ago. I completed my antibiotics and have been taking Prilosec since. The pain is slightly better...less intense gnawing pain and my stomach is less tender to the touch. But I'm still having GERD symptoms - burning abdomen, stomach tender to the touch when poked, acid reflux, lump in throat, burning up back of throat, excessive belching and gas..I've also had diarrhea since the symptoms started almost a year ago.

I'm worrying that it's gastric cancer. Three months ago I had two ct scans of the abdomen. One with just iodine contrast and another with both iodine contrast and barium swallow. Both came back fine. Would gastric cancer show up on the ct scans?
Gastric cancer and small lesions are often not visible on CT scans unless the lesion is large - the larger the cancer/primary tumor, the more likely CT can identify it.  That is why endoscopy is often performed to evaluate ulcers and to look for cancers via direct visualization.  

Have you seen a gastroenterologist yet?  Have you had an endoscopy yet?
Thanks for the response. I haven't had an endoscopy yet. I have an h,pylori breath test tomorrow and then will proceed from there.

How common is it for h.pylori and a duodenal ulcer to not go away after the first round of treatment? I'm hoping that's all that happened.