Radiology Expert Forum
IV Infiltration

Welcome to the Radiology Forum! Questions in this forum are being answered by medical professionals. Topics covered in this forum include Breast Imaging, CT/CAT Scan, Mammography, MRI, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy, Ultrasound and X-rays.

IV Infiltration
I had a contrast IV for a Chest CT.  It infiltrated, causing pain and swelling.  I need a follow-up scan (a 6-month check).  What are the chances this will happen again.  I have tiny veins and am nervous.
Hm, sorry that happened, but things can happen. I'm not sure anyone can give you an idea of if this will happen again, but perhaps you should mention this to the tech when you check in, and they can lower the injection rate.

Additionally, many Chest CTs don't require IV contrast, depending on what it is being done for. You can mention this to your doctor to see if contrast is definitely necessary.
Thanks for your advice.  I guess I just have to mention it to the tech.  My doctor said I have to have the contrast.  It's a check of nodules in the lungs (first seen six months ago).