Radiology Expert Forum
Kidney Stone / Ureteropelvic Junction (UPJ) CT Scan ?

Welcome to the Radiology Forum! Questions in this forum are being answered by medical professionals. Topics covered in this forum include Breast Imaging, CT/CAT Scan, Mammography, MRI, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy, Ultrasound and X-rays.

Is "the most proximal aspect of the left ureter" the Ureteropelvic junction (UPJ) ?  I'm asking because my  Urologist has spoken to me about my report, etc., and said the stone in my ureter is high up near the kidney.  I've heard about a UPJ obstruction before, but forgot to ask him on the phone. Presently, my symptoms are mild (which was not the case over the weekend), so we're waiting 2 weeks to image again.  I'm on Flomax, an antibiotic & drinking a lot of water.

From the CT report:
There is a mild degree of left hydronephrosis extending to the most proximal aspect of the left ureter, where a 4 mm obstructing calculus is identified.  There are 3 tiny punctate right renal calculi.

Jibs1
Yes that is the part of the ureter near the kidney. It is pretty clear in this case, but reports are not always clear. For this reason, I like to use the words "upstream" and "downstream" as opposed to "proximal" and "distal."
Thank you so much for your reply.  It's helpful.

Jibs1