Radiology Expert Forum
Kidney Stone / Ureteropelvic Junction (UPJ) CT Scan ?
About This Forum:

Welcome to the Radiology Forum! Questions in this forum are being answered by medical professionals. Topics covered in this forum include Breast Imaging, CT/CAT Scan, Mammography, MRI, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy, Ultrasound and X-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Kidney Stone / Ureteropelvic Junction (UPJ) CT Scan ?

Hi,

Is "the most proximal aspect of the left ureter" the Ureteropelvic junction (UPJ) ?  I'm asking because my  Urologist has spoken to me about my report, etc., and said the stone in my ureter is high up near the kidney.  I've heard about a UPJ obstruction before, but forgot to ask him on the phone. Presently, my symptoms are mild (which was not the case over the weekend), so we're waiting 2 weeks to image again.  I'm on Flomax, an antibiotic & drinking a lot of water.

From the CT report:
There is a mild degree of left hydronephrosis extending to the most proximal aspect of the left ureter, where a 4 mm obstructing calculus is identified.  There are 3 tiny punctate right renal calculi.

Jibs1
2054227_tn?1360523094
Yes that is the part of the ureter near the kidney. It is pretty clear in this case, but reports are not always clear. For this reason, I like to use the words "upstream" and "downstream" as opposed to "proximal" and "distal."
2 Comments
Blank
656452_tn?1332787535
Thank you so much for your reply.  It's helpful.

Jibs1
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...
Sep 04 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank