Radiology Expert Forum
Nasal Polyps I don't think so!

Welcome to the Radiology Forum! Questions in this forum are being answered by medical professionals. Topics covered in this forum include Breast Imaging, CT/CAT Scan, Mammography, MRI, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy, Ultrasound and X-rays.

Nasal Polyps I don't think so!

The Radiologist report of my Acat/COR saggital sinuses:

The examination reveals severe bilateral maxillary and ethmoidal mucosal thickening.  This measures approximately 9mm in the right maxillary sinus and similar amount in the left maxillary sinus.  The ethmoidal sinuses are essnetially opacified.  There is mild uptake in the dependent portions of the sphenoidal sinus and the frontal sinuses.  There is not evedence of bony erosion.  The nasal septum is deciated to the right side.
SUMMARY: Pansinusitis

My ENT claims this without a doubt means I have nasal polyps and need minor sinus surgery for the polyps as well as the deviated septum.
How does he get nasal polyps from mucosal thickening?  This ENT is over 70 years old and show signs of memory loss.
A second opinion on the CT could always be helpful.  Also a second opinion with another ENT before any surgical procedure, I would advise.  

You are correct in concluding that pan-sinusitis does not always equate to nasal polyps but in certain cases, it can if they are causing mass effect/obstruction of sinus drainage.