Radiology Expert Forum
Need help with CT Scan report

Welcome to the Radiology Forum! Questions in this forum are being answered by medical professionals. Topics covered in this forum include Breast Imaging, CT/CAT Scan, Mammography, MRI, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy, Ultrasound and X-rays.

Need help with CT Scan report

I have been doctoring for abt. 3 months for left flank pain.  At present I'm seeing an orthopedic dr who ordered a CT of my lumbar spine looking for spinal stenosis or pinched nerve.. Following is the report, and I'm wondering if you could help me understand it's meanings.. I am somewhat worried about the calcification of the abdominal aorta..

CT SCAN STUDY OF THE LUMBAR SPINE, AXIAL/ SAGITTAL AND CORONAL
IMAGES, WITHOUT CONTRAST
Clinical Indication: Pain

The body heights and disc spaces are maintained normally. There is minor anterior and
lateral osteoarthritic spurring off the centra throughout the lumbar spine and minor
arthritic changes of the posterior facet joints in the lower lumbar spine. There is mild
posterior disc protrusion at L4-L5 and LS-Sl. The remaining discs appear normal. The
paravertebral soft tissues are normal. Note is made of a heavily calcified infrarenal
abdominal aorta and arteriosclerottc calcifications extending into the right and left
common and external iliac arteries. Sacroiliac joints are normal. No other significant
findings.
IMPRESSION:
Mild arthritic spurring off of the centra throughout the lumbar spine.
Mild posterior disc protrusions at L4-L5 and L5-S1.
Mild arthritic changes of the posterior facet joints in the lower lumbar spine.

Thank you,

This is a very specific question of personal medical care best discussed with your physicians.