Radiology Expert Forum
Ultrasound

Welcome to the Radiology Forum! Questions in this forum are being answered by medical professionals. Topics covered in this forum include Breast Imaging, CT/CAT Scan, Mammography, MRI, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy, Ultrasound and X-rays.

Ultrasound

I had a ultrasound on my right kidney, liver, aorta and pancreas, due to high liver enzymes. At the time of my ultrasound, the technician had me lay on my left side and scanned the upper back area. My question is would that also show below my sixth rib? I've discovered a lump under what I was told is my 6th rib and not sure if I should have another ultrasound to rule anything out associated with my high liver enzymes. Thank you for your assistance in reviewing my question. I'm greatly appreciated.
Ribs are not generally well seen on ultrasound. Sometimes we use US for soft tissue masses, but often the results are indeterminate, resulting in CT or MRI.
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I'm still having discomfort and swollen in that area still. I will request a CT. I would like to thank you for all you do.

Before you demand a specific radiologic examination has a physician examined the lump? As a surgeon I am frequently entertained by patients presenting with obvious lipomas that have had ultrasound and MRI exams for a simple, clinically obvious diagnosis. And they fuss about the cost of medical care.........
Please don't assume that I've demanded a Ultrasound for my issue, it was my PCP you ordered the ultrasound for a problem I'm having with my liver. Therefore, common sense would be at the time of viewing the aorta, kidney, pancreas, ect. so, I was only asking if the ultrasound on the kidney area would also show the lump under my 6th rib. It would make more since to me to examine the lump at the same time. With all due respect, I'm entertained by some Dr.'s (not including my PCP) that misdiagnose or perform negligence surgery as I've experienced.  Unfortunately, not only will I and others have to suffer from medical errors. I wonder if he (the dr. that was negligent with me) thought about how it not only affected my pocket book, life, but also the cost of medical care rising from his error's like many other's. I'm sorry but I take human life as a priority. It's not like a computer that you can replace. Sorry, but I don't put a price on human life. Therefore, I'm not one who complains about paying for medical Insurance. Please note: I have a autoimmune disease & it's important for my dr. to investigate any issue to the fullest. Thank you for your kind words
I've another question for you. If Dr.'s are so concerned about medical cost rising from unnecessary test. Why is it then, when you're told, for example in my situation I have a fatty liver. Well, instead of telling me the proper treatment in healing the liver. I'm told everything is normal & the reason for my high liver enzymes are caused by lipitor. They'll go down. Well, unfortunately, they are rising. Which will only have me having more test eventually. Therefore, I would think that the Dr. would inform me to make changes or detox the liver to heal it. No, I had to do research myself to find that out. To be honest, I've a hard time in trusting some Dr.'s after my bad experience. I've also realized, that each individual really has to watch out for themselves in doing their own research. I will say that, I've noticed alot of physicians do unfortunately like to support the pharmaceutical IMO. I like many other's have experienced that many many times. What would the reason for that be? I can only assume. To be honest, I only go to the dr.'s now, because of course I need the scripts to have blood test, ect. if I could order my own, there'd probably be no reason to see a physician, unless of course I needed surgery. Sorry, but your comment as you can tell did touch a nerve for being a physician, IMO to be more concerned about medical cost than a human life. I try to use common sense in my life decisions. Some food for thought, maybe medical professional's should lower their fee's and medical care wouldn't be so costly also.
I did forget to answer your question if my lump has been examined by my PCP. I must say it certainly was, however I've to question his response in telling me that something popped out of the sixth rib. Then, once I get home & call for a copy of that office visit. I notice, he states that I thought it was a pulled muscle. Now, if that's what I thought, i sure would've of went & paid a co-pay. So, that told me, he's not even sure of what it is. Sadly to say, but had the same experience with a previous misdiagnosis with a Dr. stating that I had a hital hernia and putting me on protonix (same Dr. that was negligent in a surgery that's irreversible) in which, I've learned I don't have a hital hernia, nevertheless have to take a acid reducer now for the rest of my life. IMO all because he wanted to cover up his negligence, when I had more issue's after the surgery he performed & he didn't have an answer, he figured he'd blame it on something I didn't have. Findings were found in his medical records, where he never put a diagnosis as having a hital hernia instead, stating he put me on protonix because I was complaining of having constant heartburn before pushing me out the door, because he new what he did was negligent. I must also mention, that the same Dr. has alot, I mean alot of malpractice suits against him & he's also has been found guilty in malpractice suits. He's now only able to practice under supervision & on probation. I've not only learned to go to Dr. profile on the internet & do research, look for malpractice and make sure the dr. is board certified, I've learned to get a copy of all my REPORTS & watch out for myself.  Sad thing is, I didn't realize to do the same before being referred to what I call a quack. It's hard to have trust in Dr.'s after bad experiences.
Please see respnse in Gallbladder Expert Forum