Radiology Expert Forum
X-rays

Welcome to the Radiology Forum! Questions in this forum are being answered by medical professionals. Topics covered in this forum include Breast Imaging, CT/CAT Scan, Mammography, MRI, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy, Ultrasound and X-rays.

X-rays

Ive been having neck/lower back pain from an adjustment. Went in to make sure nothing was wrong, and they took 3 X-rays.  One  cervical spine, 2 lumbar views.  I stood against a white background and she pointed the X-ray machine to the area, but the machine was about 2-3 feet away.  She did not place a lead shield on me while conducting these X-rays.  I'm very concerned I was exposed to too much radiation?!  Plus I am breastfeeding, and my breasts were never covered.  I asked about this and she said the radiation only goes where she points the machine.  Should I be concerned??  Did the radiation get into my breast milk?
Thank you!
Nervous mom
There is natural background radiation from the ground and sun. The amount of radiation you received is probably the same as taking a long plane flight. And, like the sun, it cannot be transmitted to your baby via your body.

You should also be wondering why you need to be "adjusted" which then causes so much pain that someone is concerned that you might have broken something...
Thank you for your answer!  I figured it wouldn't pass, I just wanted to make sure.  I was having a numbness, dead feeling in my legs, prickly numbness in neck/shoulder/arm area.  He wanted to make sure there were no herniations /abnormalities prior to adjusting again. (They didnt do them the first time around.) Since then I'm better but going to GP on mon to r/o neurological causes.   Trust me I don't think I will ever be "adjusted" again.  :)  
Sorry one more thing.  If I have a feeling of my skin feeling burned and excessive thirst, this started after I posted. Could I have radiation burns?  (I'm  not sure the girl who did the X-rays was trained well- obviously and the machine was older, a "point and shoot" that calibrated on its own) This started last Night w a little skin redness, which is gone but burning sensation is there.  And when i press on my skin, white finger marks appear, like a burn. I'm  very scared.  I'm hoping it's something I ate.  Not sure what to do?  What is your opinion?  

Well, as someone who reads 100 xrays a day, I can tell you that no one ever gets radiation burns from them. However, the symptoms you describe do sound very odd and can be compatible with a burn. I guess it's theoretically possible the machine was way way out of whack. If you are worried about a burn, you could go see a doctor (dermatologist, plastic surgeon), and you could also get someone to check out the machine.