Radiology Expert Forum
ct scan shows lesions in kidney and pancreatic tail..should I worry

Welcome to the Radiology Forum! Questions in this forum are being answered by medical professionals. Topics covered in this forum include Breast Imaging, CT/CAT Scan, Mammography, MRI, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy, Ultrasound and X-rays.

I went to the ER dept with severe stomach pains, they did a ct w/o contrast through my vein but I had to drink the barium mixture first.  The dr said that there was nothing there and sent me home with no answer to what was wrong with me. I went to my pcp for a follow up because the pains were severe still and he said that the ct scan showed a 9mm hypodense lesion in the upper pole of the right kidney as well as focal hypoattenuation within the left hepatic lobe on both sides of the faciform ligament and occurs in a location typical of focal fatty infiltration and a too small to charecterize hypodensity in the lateral right hepatic lobe, plus they show a too small to charevterize hypodensity in the pancreatic tail.  The dr ordered a second ct with iv contrast and barium mixture to drink and it showed in the upper pole of the right kindey a 9mm hypodense lesion with does demonstrate some associated postcontrast enhancement, plus it showed the same as above with the fatty infiltration and pancreatic tail.  I have no clue what any of this means as this is all directly off of the radiology report.  I go for an MRI to follow up more with these issues but can someone please tell me what this stuff is in a way that I can understand.  Im a wreck because I have a strong family history of cancer at a young age (my sister was 24 when she was diagnosed with breast cancer and again at 28 with it again and at 35 with uteran cancer plus my pap passed away from kidney disease/cancer.  Please, be truthful as to what this could possbily be without trying not to scare me..I want to know if its something I should be concerened about.  Also, these were not seen on a ct scan done 9 months ago.  Thank you
Sounds like you should ask the radiologist of record and your doctor about these findings. Mention your increased risk of cancer.